Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunday, June 29, 2008


Wow, Forget everything I said about the weather in the earlier post. It was so HOT today. It might have been that we were not in any museums. We started off the day at the Iwo Jima memorial and from there went to Arlington Cemetery. Here is my hind sight advice. Pay the money for the shuttle bus. It was a long hot walk all over the cemetery. We did make it in time to watch the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier. Cameron's comment was "well that wasn't worth it." He has not enjoyed most of DC. I am glad he is my youngest.
Okay, Jacob just walked out of the room and said, "one down twenty more." He is refering to how many more days until he gets home. He informed me he is a home body.
After the cemetery we went to the National Zoo. It was cooler there and most everyone was some what entertained. I would not recommend eating the food at the zoo though. Yuck.
After the zoo everyone was tired and ready for some air conditioning. We headed to the Washington DC temple. I am wondering why it is the Washington temple when it is in Maryland. It is a very pretty temple. The visitor center had this very neat photo essay of President Hinckley and the temple dedications he attended. A local couple had gone to most of the dedications and taken pictures. It was very touching to see the Prophet and his sweet wife we all loved so much is these great pictures.
We topped off the day with a night drive through DC to see the memorials lit up.
Something I forgot to add yesterday was that my brother, Robert, who lives about a 1/2 mile from us called me to ask what was on fire by our house. At the time I was standing on a platform waiting for the metro. When I told him that he said " Oh in that case never mind. I'm sure it's not your house." as it turns out a near by orchard was burning some branches.

4 comments:

Deborah said...

Call me and tell me your coming.
585 271-7658 or cell 490-0589

Deborah said...

oops -- you're

Leigh Anna said...

Awesome pictures!! Looks like you are having a blast...well most of you. Only 15 days and I can to come join you on the east coast.

Jen said...

Aren't brothers great? My kids would probably agree with Jacob on the homebody thing. I guess we'll see how he feels in 20 more days. Wish I were there...